Visual Capitalist Jeff Desjardins has a new take on how to visualize the sheer size of the U.S. government’s $19.5 trillion total public debt outstanding. In the chart below, you’ll discover that:
- The U.S. national debt is bigger than the value of the S&P 500.
- The U.S. national debt is greater than the combined value of all the financial assets held by the world’s Top 7 money management firms.
- The U.S. national debt is 25 times bigger than the value of all the crude oil exported by the world’s oil producing nations.
- The U.S. national debt is 155 times more than the value of all the gold that was mined in 2015.
- If you took all the world’s physical cash, gold, silver, and cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, their combined value would add up to only 65% of the value of the U.S. national debt!
- The U.S. national debt represents one-third of the total amount of sovereign debt accumulated by all nations around the world.