Here are some key points, from FactCheck.org:
- The penalty/tax will be phased in from 2014 to 2016.
- The minimum penalty/tax in 2016 will be $695 per person and up to 3-times that per family. After 2016, these amounts will increase at the rate of inflation.
- The minimum penalty/tax per person will start at $95 in 2014 (and then increase through 2016)
- No family will ever pay more than 3X the per-person penalty, regardless of how many people are in the family.
- The $695 per-person penalty is only for those who make between $9,500 and ~$37,000 per year. If you make less than ~$9.500, you're exempt. If you make more than ~$37,000, your penalty is calculated by the following formula...
- The penalty is 2.5% of any household incomeabove the level at which you are required to file a tax return. That level is currently $9,500 per person and $19,000 per couple. The penalty on any income above that is 2.5%. So the penalty can get expensive quickly if you make a lot of money.
- However, the penalty can never be more than the cost of a "Bronze" heath insurance plan purchased through one of the state "exchanges" that will be created as part of Obamacare. The CBO estimates that these policies will cost $4,500-$5,000 per person and $12,000-$12,500 per family in 2016, with therising thereafter.So, basically, you're looking at penalties of approximately the following at the following income levels:
- Less than $9,500 income = $0
- $9,500 - $37,000 income = $695
- $50,000 income = $1,000
- $75,000 income = $1,600
- $100,000 income = $2,250
- $125,000 income = $2,900
- $150,000 income = $3,500
- $175,000 income = $4,100
- $200,000 income = $4,700
- Over $200,000 = The cost of a "bronze" health-insurance plan.
Monday, July 2, 2012
Here's How Much The Obamacare Penalty Tax Will Cost You...
In most cases, the penalty/tax for not buying Obama designed medical insurance will be cheaper than buying medical insurance. Henry Blodget has a good breakdown:
at 8:09 AM