Saturday, February 23, 2013

First Obamacare Horror Story

Nancy Pelosi was correct,  only now that the bill has been passed are we going to find out what is in that interventionist piece of legislation, Obamacare.

A California small businessman tells me that he switched healthcare insurance carriers in 2012.  The monthly premium for him and his wife was about $400, but when he received his first bill in January of this year it was for $1,200.  He hasn't been to a doctor in years, his wife has only gone for minor care.

Apparently there is some clause in the Affordable Healthcare Act that results in health insurance firms using a new method to calculate premiums. Those who have health insurance plans that have been in effect since at least 2010 are grandfathered under the old calculation method, but insurance carriers are using a new formula for new plans.

Bottom line: If you have a health insurance plan that you have been using since at least 2010, do not cancel or switch plans without first determining in detail what a new plan is going to cost you and make sure you understand if there are any escalator clauses in any new plan.

4 comments:

  1. No comments.

    Wow.

    From this angle This story looks to be The straw the broke the camels back.

    Over 50% of adults are living paycheck to paycheck.

    Ah-hem, Over 50% of adults are living paycheck to paycheck.

    Or is that a bad stat?

    - IndividualAudienceMember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as Mark Twain said "5% of the people think, 10% think they think, and 85% would rather die than think" That leaves 15% of the people that may consider the government as the problem. The 85% will never view "Master" as any thing but benevolent.

      Delete
  2. A California small businessman tells me that he switched healthcare insurance carriers in 2012. The monthly premium for him and his wife was about $400, but when he received his first bill in January of this year it was for $1,200. He hasn't been to a doctor in years, his wife has only gone for minor care. horror

    ReplyDelete